Friday, September 23, 2011

Current Jeep owner looking for a different vehicle?

I'm in the process of thinking of getting a newer vehicle for the fall. I currently drive a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport, in fair condition. It has about 135k miles on it. I love the platform of the Jeep, from outer look to interior feel. Are there any previous Jeep owners out there that opted for a different make and model (any company, not just Jeep), and if so, what would you recommend for someone that's been driving a Jeep model for a very long time?|||I currently own a Jeep and I like it very much. That said, I recently had a chance to drive a Subaru Forrester while looking for a house up north. It was the real estate agents vehicle. She didn't want to drive on some of the backroads in the area. I was quite impressed with the Forrester. Comfort, handling, ride were very good.|||Yes, I had 93, 95 and then 98 Grand Cherokees, the overall quality seemed to go down with each, the 93 was the least trouble free. I switched to a Toyota 4 Runner. No issues at all except for oil changes tires. There are many issues that bothered me about the Jeep in retrospect, but the most significant is the steering. Jeeps have a primitive suspension and steering, the power steering is over boosted and requires constant corrections, Toyota is smooth, solid, steering is precise, the vehicle goes where pointed without constant corrections. Makes long drives much less exhausting and actually fun.|||If you love the Jeep why not just buy a newer one?



I tried this - I said 'I've been driving a Wrangler since I learned to drive, I want to try something more "refined".' I bot a Ford Explorer. I drove it for 18 months and sold it and bought another Wrangler.

You can't go back, don't try. But if you must...



Nissan X-Terra or Pathfinder depending on your budget.

Toyota Highlander or FJ Cruiser.

Chevy Equinox

Honda Pilot



But I still think you should just look at a newer Cherokee, you already know you like them.

No comments:

Post a Comment