Friday, September 23, 2011

How can I add horsepower on my jeep?

I have a 2007 Jeep wrangler and was wondering what I can do to add horsepower and or better response when accelerating.


On my jeep its an automatic with a 3.8 V6.


Thanks.|||gut the catalytic converter (but leave the cat on the car to pass inspection) gives you a free flowing exhaust adds some horsepower.|||you can add a new exhaust pipe and weld it.|||I would recommend a cold air intake system depending on what brand you get you can add 10 to 15 horse and you also gain torque and throttle response.|||get:


a high flow catalytic converter


high flow muffler


2.5inch exhaust pipe





air aid intake





you could always spend $4000


and get a turbo kit|||get a computer chip from 4wd.com|||The only proven ways to add horsepower are:


1. a cold air intake (I like the Mopar kit that comes with a throttle body spacer myself)


2. new exhaust system





You can get the feeling of more hp by changing your gearing - faster off the line, but limited top end.





You may get more horsepower out of a chip, but I've double check that you won't void any warranty.|||The only way to really increase the horsepower is to swap engines. My 03 Rubicon with the 4.0 6 will outperform your 07....just the size of the engine displacement alone!


I added an AiRaid system-got some more power, little throatier 'roar' and noticed the rpm's are lower...but I wouldn't take bets that it added that much horsepower.


As for other comments...I've heard many claims that a new 'chip' will increase it...haven't YET found a single jeeper that has one...and you'd figure that us real 'off roaders' would want all the horsepower we can get. As for removing the catalytic convertor...a REAL tech would know that doing that would instantly screw up your computer system-it goes haywire any time the convertor has problems. Removing it? Against federal law anyways.


For better response on accelerating...buy something instead of a jeep. They are NOT made for acceleration, high speed starts, spinning wheels... so why damage all the drivetrain trying to show off like a mall crawler? Use them for what they are intended...off road, pulling the mall crawlers out of mud, fun stuff like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment