Friday, September 23, 2011

Would an older jeep cherokee be good for a young college student?

I have a 94 grand prix, and it is a hunk of junk. I thought about restoring it, but I think after college I am going to buy something else. I like trucks, jeep cherokee's, and older muscle cars. What time of model and year would be a good investment, low repair but I live in east tennesse so I want it to be able to off road well. Suggestions?|||Jeep Cherokee will be a good one. Junk yard parts are plentyful, and the 4.0 motor is bullet proof. Taken care of with the usual care, they will last to 300,000 miles. The tranny's are also pretty stout unless you start lifting it and going with bigger tires. All of those upgrades put added stress on the drive train.





Just get one, and drive it and worry about the cool upgrades AFTER you graduate.





Stay with '93 and newer due to changes in the ignition and fuel systems. Get one with a 4.0 if you can afford it, though the 2.5L could be had for a song, they are gutless on the highway, but decent for around town and even offroading when geared properly.





I just bought a '94 with the 4.0 with 186,000 miles on it back in February for $1400. I put about $1000 into it making it road worthy...new tires, brakes, rear springs, (4) new shocks, tranny flush/fill %26amp; adjust, oil change, starter and battery, and a stereo upgrade. It runs like a top. No smoke, doesn't use oil and gets decent gas mileage and I fully expect to get 300,000 miles out of it.





They are easy to work on when something does go wrong, and there's ALWAYS someone close by, that loves jeeps, that would be willing to lend a hand when needed. the jeep community is HUGE.





Check out www.quadratec.com and www.jeepsunlimited.com to find local jeep clubs and owners, and parts.





Good luck!|||I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 4.0L I6 engine. Its been great to me, takes me where I need to go, places I probably shouldn't go but can, and haven't had many problems other than normal wear and tear. I'm almost at 190,000 miles right now and it still runs and drive great.





The biggest issue is oil/filter changes and make sure to change the transmission fluid every 55,000 miles, with that said they will be pretty reliable for many miles. Neglect simple service and it will leave you walking.





Replaced the starter in mine at 187,536 miles, new radiator at 186,978 miles, and those 2 are the only major items I've had replaced, oh and a CV boot right after I bought it, that the dealership covered under warranty. I bought the jeep used 3.5 years ago with 146,000 miles on it, and the dealership gave me a 6 month warranty which was cool, as they did the CV boot replacement, replaced some wiring that caused a Check Engine Light, and also replaced the original battery upon delivery.





Jeeps are great offroad, even stock (no lift, no other special equipment). Granted the lift and special equipment makes it easier, light to moderate offroad use can be accomplished by a knowledgeable driver.|||I love my Jeep Cherokee.. it has the 4ltr. Straight six motor and just keeps running.. I've never had a more reliable vehicle..|||Jeep is good, but you would be better off with an Isuzu Trooper, Honda Passport, Toyota Land Cruiser, or an older Range Rover.|||I had a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo, and I loved every minute of driving that thing. It was great off road, and I even towed a couple of friends out of the mud after they got stuck... I put about 60K miles on it (bought it with 80K), and right as I was selling it, the 4 wheel drive crank-case gave out on it. Other than that, it drove like a champ. Unfortunately Cherokee's are known for that problem- I was able to fix it myself fortunately, but I loved that Jeep. I drive a Pathfinder now, and it's good, but a Cherokee is a great ride. If you can find one with relatively low mileage, go for it. You won't be dissappointed. Not to mention, hauling stuff back and forth to college will be a snap.|||go Jeep and you'll never go back!|||Definately a Jeep Cherokee, I had a 88 cherokee sport with 215,000 miles before I sold it and it ran great. Now I have a 99 cherokee sport and could not be happier. Jeep is THE offroad vehicle. And there not too difficult to modify or repair.|||Yes

No comments:

Post a Comment