Friday, September 23, 2011

Why does my Jeep vibrate when I accelerate?

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee. Recently it started vibrating whenever I accelerate. The vibrations are bad when I start accelerating and continue to varying degrees at different speeds. Sometimes the vibrations will go away almost completely and stay away as long as I maintain that speed. But once I change speeds the vibrations return.





It feels like the body of the Jeep is vibrating, not necessarily the engine. There are no vibrations when I'm idling. The whole Jeep vibrates, but it is worse in the rear. I suspect that it may be my tires, as their treads are right at 2/32", but I want to be sure before I drop $500 on tires. Any thoughts on what this problem could be? Thanks for the ideas.|||It could be your tires, but it could also be u-joints or maybe a dozen other things. It's probably best to have a professional check out your Jeep for you because it could be a safety issue or cause more damage if not corrected.|||Yes, I would get a set of some good tires and make sure they are balanced.... you might need a front end alignment as well.|||Check your driveshaft and the U joints. IF your wanting to diagnose this yourself. raise the rear end so both wheels are off the ground (use jack stands) and put it in gear, watch the driveshaft, if it wobbles it is either bent, or the U joints are wasted.


Be careful!|||It could be your tires... could be, or it could be your U joints, or even your drive shaft...|||If it were the tires they would vibrate at a steady speed also. I would look at motor mounts or u joints.|||It's probably tire balance if it gets worse the faster you go. But the way you describe the problem sounds like you have an engine misfire. If you haven't had a general tune up of your ignition for many years, you may need new spark plugs and plug wires as well as a new distributor cap and rotor if your car is equipped with them. An ignition misfire would tend to be worse whenever you were loading down the engine more by accelerating, especially up a hill. Also, if the problem abates when you shift to force a higher engine RPM, that's another sign of a misfire.|||bad u-joints or a bad trans. or motor mount. u-joints are most likely the problem|||You have a broken motor or transmission mount. The engine or the transmission gets pinned to the frame or body on acceleration|||sounds like your universal joints are bad, have them checked.|||check your driveshaft universal joints.|||could be the u-joints, bent wheel, tourque converter, take it to a shop to check it out...|||it could be a broken motor mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment