Tuesday, September 27, 2011

What can I do to get my Jeep ready for some off roading adventures?

I am getting ready to bring my stock 1999 4cyl 5 speed Jeep Wrangler on a green/blue train guided off roading event at Rausch Creek Off Road Park. What can/should I do to get my Jeep up and running in prime condition and prepare it for all of the abuse that is off roading? Links would be great! Thanks.|||If there is nothing wrong with it run it as is. A couple things to make sure you have before you go, 1 make sure you have recovery points (tow hooks in front and back) 2 a tow strap. Other then that i say go out and have a great time.|||Green trails are usually fire roads or equivalent. I used to live up an old logging road you'd probably call a green, visitors would regularly lose mufflers and occasionally high-center full sized pickups, we even had to tow out a lifted Wrangler one time--it got high-centered axle-deep in a puddle. I used to drive that road in a Honda Civic wagon, which would bottom out regularly, though I only got it stuck once. You can handle these trails in a stock compact car if you pay attention and know what you're doing. A stock Wrangler will have no problems unless you do something foolish.





I'd say the most important thing is to have your vehicle in decent running condition. Don't go off-roading in a car that will leave you stranded on dry pavement. Carry a tool kit, a winch or come-along, and a couple jugs of water. Good tires and a spare are absolutely a must!





Blue trails are a little more rugged, take things slow and use a spotter for anything you're not absolutely sure about. It wouldn't hurt to add a lift kit, taller tires (pref. with double-walls and snow or mud tread), upgraded shocks--but I'm not sure if any of that is actually necessary. Pick your lines well and you'll be ok.|||Cann and dir are right, and if you are camping over night, cold beer and big cuts of tri-tip.


Jeepers don't drink and drive but know how to relax at the end of the day on a day of trail driving.


Tread lightly and keep it green for the next guys

No comments:

Post a Comment