Sunday, September 18, 2011

How does a soft top for a Jeep handle in the winter?

I just got a Jeep Wrangler about a couple of months ago. Winter will be arriving soon and I have a soft top. I looked up prices for a hard top but they are expensive and I don't think I'll be able to purchase a hard top until next year. Does any know how the soft top will handle in the winter (upstate NY winter)? If so, any tips for me since I can't get a hardtop?|||Like everybody else said, your soft top will hold up just fine as long as you don't abuse it. Don't let snow sit on in for long times, it'll melt then freeze forming ice. Don't use anything sharp to clean it - a brush works well. Don't try to put your top down when the temperature is less that 40 F, as the top will be very brittle and may crack.





I had a TJ wrangler with a 10-year old top that held up just fine.





If your jeep is not the newest model (JK, 2007 or newer), watch Craigslist for a hardtop. I've seen them go for %26lt; $300|||I've owned a Wrangler with a SOFT top for over 4 years with no problems even in the dead of winter, the only down side is that it doesn't insulate very well, but as you probably know the heater in these Jeeps is AWESOME, so I wouldn't worry about it friend, I live in Minnesota so we get some pretty rough winters here. The only advantage to the hard top is insulation really.|||The Soft top will work fine. Just make sure that you let it lay out in 70+ degree temperature to relax the material before installing the top. Do not - do like my son did a couple of years ago and wait till the last minute to try installing the soft top in cold weather. Also make sure that your heater is working or that can become a big pain also. Plus always carry a good blanket in the Jeep just in case~!


Greg G - PowerandPlay|||Be sure to brush off the snow in the morning and the top will be fine. Be careful not to use anything that can tear the top and be careful with the plastic windows in cold weather as they tend to get brittle in temps below 50 degrees. After five New England winters (never garaged) my top is still as good as new.|||The soft top holds up fine but isn't insulated. Luckily the jeep has a really good heater. My top seals really tight so it has never been an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment